Monday, August 13, 2018

Do you want my seat?


“Here Ma’am, you can have my seat”, said the young fellow on the crowded Max the late the other night.  Well, I hesitated, looked at all the people standing, and with a reluctant sigh sat down.  Then I went thru all the other thoughts. Thoughts such as, maybe the very over weight person standing nearby could use the seat, or did I look as tired as I felt? 

I appreciated the tone and the way the person offered the seat to me.  I almost took the seat as a way to thank the person. Then I felt “privileged” to be offered a seat. Privilege and respect can go a long way, but am I really in a privilege class? Does being a healthy, fit senior with a little grey hair make me a “privilege” person?  If the bus had come to a sudden stop, if I were standing and holding a bar above me, would my arm/shoulder get more damaged than the young twenty something standing next to me? Possibly.  Again with grace and gratitude, I enjoyed my Max ride! How do you feel when offered a seat on the bus?

By: Kirsten Hartman

3 comments:

  1. The first time someone offered me his seat on a crowded commuter train outside of San Francisco, I was so taken aback that I blurted something like: "No, thanks. Give it to someone who needs it." Ungracious of me, at best. I realized then that I don't "see" myself like others do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My standard response is 'no thank you, I am fine'. Somehow, at almost 72, it just isn't in me yet to take over a seat someone else had taken. Maybe at 80.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete