Thursday, October 11, 2018

“It’s like Dr. Seuss for Old People”


...as named by my 11 year old daughter

Grey in my 30’s, how can that be?
A friend exclaimed, “But that’s your choice!” 
And she’s right, I choose to be me.

My mother said, “It must be a Colorado thing.”
And maybe it is. Natural and delicate, like a dragon fly’s wing.

A silver tiara shining with Colorado’s 310 days of sun. 
A badge of honor for another year won. 

Strangers stopping me with praise at first, 
“It’s so... well dispersed.”
Others with brows furrowed a bit, 
“Clearly, that can’t be natural, can it?”

I don’t want your pity. My friend was right you see. This IS a choice, to live my life full of authenticity.

“You are too young to let yourself go grey. It’s a disservice to your beauty,” they say.
But I disagree, these glittery locks pave the way to living life every day. 

Growing older is a gift not given to many. And this hair, it isn’t worth but a penny. But to me, the value is beyond compare, for these silver strands prove I’ve shown up, lived life, and cared.

Last I checked, this hair on my head is mine.
If I choose grey, that should be fine. 
My husband has never said a word. He’s either a smart man or a turd! 

My daughter lets me know when it’s all in disarray. And she likes to point out old photos that are browner than today. 

I’ve laughed and I’ve cried, until I’ve hit my stride. To the end it will be, silver and grey, maybe even a little white, guiding me straight to that bright light.

Poem written by Kristy Wygmans
By: Kirsten Hartman

No comments:

Post a Comment