Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Some Zzzzzs please!

Sleep. A necessary, natural, yet oh so elusive part of my life. I used to sleep the entire night. Those were the good ole days. Now, I wake up every night at 1:30 am. Every night. I can set my clock to this wake up time. 

 

My doctor diagnosed chronic insomnia and prescribed Ambien, which I took for 10 years but still woke up. Two months ago I kicked the medication cold turkey (what was I thinking?).

 

Friends and family offer advice. "Try this, take that." And I have.

 

Melatonin (including time release), serotonin, 5-HTP, GABA, CBD, Benadryl, Valerian, magnesium, L-Tryptophan, sleep cocktails, more CBD, adrenal support, exercise, meditation, white noise. I could fall asleep listing all the potions that promise but don't deliver.

 

While my dog prefers sleeping on the bed, she has no problem dozing off on the floor. It's not fair. I fall asleep quickly and soundly, but can't fall back asleep after my 1:30 rise and shine.

 

"Older adults need to get at least 7-8 hours of sleep at night to maintain optimum health," says my medical team. Good thing I don't know Karate. 

 

For those of you who have the gift of sleep, I envy you. For those of you who are in my camp, I'd love to hear your stories in the comment box below.


By: PAFC

8 comments:

  1. The only two things that help me when that happens is to get up, move to another room and read a book. And NEVER look at the clock in the middle of the night. I think we train ourselves to wake up at the same time. When I stopped looking at the clock, it got better slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try and read a relaxing type magazine cause if it is a good book, I don’t want to fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, don’t look at the time. Staying in bed makes one feel like they really have a problem, I think. Try going to the living room with a comfy blanket where some good books/magazines await you. After 30-40 min I usually return or fall asleep on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My problem is I have to pee every 2 hours
    And getting to sleep after each time can be hard

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! This article couldn't be written much better!
    Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He constantly kept talking about this. I am going to forward this information to him.
    Fairly certain he's going to have a great read. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm is anyone else experiencing problems with the
    images on this blog loading? I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or
    if it's the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your post.
    I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Usually I do not learn article on blogs, however I
    wish to say that this write-up very pressured me
    to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me.
    Thank you, very nice article.

    ReplyDelete