Monday, October 14, 2019

What did you say?

Recently I was at a social gathering with my husband. We were trying to talk with a friend but the background noise of others made it almost impossible for my husband to hear. He put his hands by his ears to indicate hearing issue. The conversation instantly changed as the other person also admitted they had on hearing aids!  Both people then started playing with their volume control to see if that would make the conversation easier, while I innocently sat near-by and listened to the buzz of the aids being turned up too much. Truth be told, I know I will soon be also joining this elite group! I don’t dread the devices, but I sure dread changing those itty, bitty tiny batteries!



By: Kirsten Hartman

10 comments:

  1. No worries about the itty, bitty batteries … there are itty, bitty magnets.
    Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for Apple or Google to come up with something really cool and user-friendly. Hopefully my hearing holds out until then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearing aids have improvements tremendously in recent years. Bluetooth capable models broaden
    access to more direct delivery of sound into the ear. There are lithium ion battery models
    with rechargers. No need to handle little batteries. Cost can be much less through large
    distribution sources, like Costco.

    Be interesting to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be so hard when the parties are too loud!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let me put in a plug for live captioning at live events. Many folks aren't aware that such a service exists. I've seen it at performances at the Denver Performing Arts Complex. It makes already hard-to-hear events accessible to all. Ask for it. The more owners/operators hear requests for it, the more likely they are to provide it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine are small and not obvious — decided to get them before anyone might plead with me to do so. I have noticed some cool looking purple canes — maybe heading aids can become a fun accessory??

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenn just got his. I probably won't be far behind either...

    ReplyDelete
  9. My father and my mother-in-law both were both reluctant to use wheelchairs, hearing aids as they aged. Both would have improved their quality of life and expanded their worlds instead of making them smaller. I hope I will embrace the use of things that can keep me active and engaged as I age. Thank you Kirsten for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After my father died, I cleaned out his house and found two shoe boxes full of dead hearing-aid batteries. That can't be good for the environment. We should all consider hearing aids with rechargeable batteries. I know I will!

    ReplyDelete