Sunday, April 7, 2019

Remodel woes


During our recent remodel, there were moments we experienced short fuses, fussy moments and snarky stress. My stress centered on the impatience I have carried forever. I always think things are much simpler and easier then they really are. The kitchen cabinets piled in the garage should be installed in a week, right? Not so. Our talented contractor muttered, measured, re-measured, calibrated and then finally installed a cabinet – just one! Then another, until finally two weeks later, with razor precision, the new maple cabinets formed a beautiful kitchen. 

While I watched this dance of reconstruction, I thought what a slow process it is installing a new kitchen. Floors and counter tops were next after the cabinets then paint. Four weeks was one estimate, seven the reality. My patience was running thin. My husband, an architect, knew so much more than I and understood the necessary time frame of the remodel. His frustration with me manifested as I tried to hurry the process by picking up needed tools and putting them back in the garage. In my impatience, this was my way to hurry the project along. Wrong move. Both the contractor and my husband had a specific flow throughout this process and I did not. Finally I relaxed and just let them work. My stress was reduced by just being with the situation rather than try to control it. I am a slow learner, but at 70+ capable of change.

 Written by Suzie Daggett


 

 

By: PAFC

1 comment:

  1. Remodeling is a stressor for sure, and a time to practise being in the "flow". So hard to do. Congrats on getting it done!

    ReplyDelete