Thursday, April 11, 2019

The Problem with Our Stuff

Many of my friends have a big problem at this stage of life
We have far too much stuff and we need to get rid of it.
But who wants it?  Does it bring us joy?  Does it weigh us down?
Our kids do not want much, if any, of it.
They have a lot of stuff, too.  After the Marie Kondo show
I guess the thrift stores were overwhelmed by people getting
rid of stuff!
I even heard that our used clothing is not welcome in the
developing world these days.
I do not have heirs.  And some of my stuff has value so
I want it to go to someone who really cares about
that.  But it is really hard to let it go.  I plan to work on it soon, but
I am not sure how it will go.
Do you have a solution? By: Sue Kerchenfaut

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm, it is a nagging issue when you know some of your stuff has value and who would appreciate it?
    A question for me is, why the heck do I still have a 1958 era garter belt in a little plastic bag, stuck in the corner of my top drawer? Is it bringing back a memory? Or is it now that it's so old that it's not easy to throw away? Now it is making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found downsizing to be very liberating. A weight had been lifted and I felt free. I sold things that had value and had fun with the extra cash. I'm down to a one-bedroom condo and have all that I need. I love the minimalist lifestyle. Start with one drawer or one closet and celebrate your success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that the flea markets on South College will sometimes take items for consignment. I have not checked it out. Some people suggest taking photos of items that have meaning for you. For myself, the tactile sensation is more important than the photo, although I am trying to use some photos. When I give items away, I just hope they will have a "good life" and meaning for someone else.

    ReplyDelete