Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Knowing Barbara

                


I was always a fan of Barbara Fleming’s history columns in the Coloradoan, looking forward to reading one every week. When I heard she was going to teach a class about historic women in Larimer County, I signed up. 


Usually I read the class expectations ahead of time, but this time I didn’t. I cruised into the first class, planning to sit and listen to a lecture with perhaps some discussion. But no! She had other expectations! We were to do research on a woman chosen from a list provided to the class and then make a presentation. After I recovered from this surprise, I found I enjoyed the experience of research, writing, rewriting and putting together a presentation that hopefully would engage the class. Barbara was encouraging, informative and helpful … of course, how many years did she teach? Not only did I learn a lot, the class was interesting and I had fun.


During 2020, with a lot of time at home, I decide to complete a biography of my great grandmother, also a woman of strength and determination. I thought maybe Barbara might be willing to help me finalize my writing. She agreed to be my editor, and I was so excited. She helped me clarify my thoughts, smooth the flow and all the details I never would have thought of. I never really considered myself a writer, but from this experience maybe I have to give up that notion.


Thank you, Barbara.


Cherrie, Thornton

November, 17, 2021

 

By: Cherrie Thornton

No comments:

Post a Comment